Sunday, February 28, 2010

History, Saved

For far too long I’ve worked on personal projects without using any source control management tools.  As George Santayana said, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it,” or in my case rewrite it as I can’t find some code I’ve written before.  I know that’s not a good practice so I have fixed it.

This morning I setup IIS and Mercurial on my local server.  While there are still a few kinks to work out with the setup, such as Chrome and IE warnings about self signed certificates, I’m able to push, pull and clone repositories.  For now I’m just hosting these on my local network.  I do plan on releasing some of my projects with an open source license but I’ll post those on bitbucket.org.  Long gone are the days when I spend time trying to host public facing websites from my network.

Next I’m going to create a symbol server.  I’ve found them to be invaluable when debugging crash reports.  As I’ve mentioned before.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

It Runs! It Crashes! It's Fixed!


To the left is a screen shot of the Sudoku application that is developed in the book Hello, Android.  You can click on the screen shot to see more that I captured.  Unlike other screen shots I've posted before these are from my T-Mobile myTouch and not the Android emulator.  Aren't they pretty?

At the end of chapter 4 I should have had a playable sudoku game.  What I had was a "nifty" error screen as my app crashed.  It turns out that I missed a few characters when typing in the long string that defines the starting position for a game.  It was an easy mistake and should have been easy to find.  I guess my inexperience using Eclipse slowed down finding the problem as I wasn't able to walk the stack backward from the crash to find the bug.  On the whole though getting the Android SDK and development environment setup and running was straightforward.

While I've made a few minor changes, such as the app name, I have followed along with the book.  Though I have a list of things I want to implement for my own version.  Some of them are, in no particular order:
  • Enter puzzles to be solved.
  • Load and save puzzles to local database.
  • Protect the original numbers from modification.
  • Highlight the original numbers when drawing the game board.
  • Allow the user to change colors and fonts used to display the game.
  • Check the board and alert the user when they've solved the game.
That will all have to wait until I finish the book though.  Some of these features might be covered in later chapters.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Year, New Direction

It's been a while since I've updated this blog. Priorities at work changed and I haven't been focused on crash dump analysis. Also I spread myself a bit thin with all my activities and hobbies. Work and life has slowed down so now I have some time to dedicate to my coding activities. So here we go again...

I have a shiny new T-Mobile myTouch. So I'm going to spend some time learning how to write apps for the Android platform. To start I'm working through Hello, Android by Ed Burnette. Expect some updates about my progress soon.